Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Project Completed...Finally

   I took a little break from writing while I was with my family down at the shore. I’m not sure I enjoy the flatland riding there more than the hilly terrain at home because you are always pedaling, with no breaks for downhill coasting. Going at pretty much the same pace, other than a couple short, steep bridges over the inlets, is also a bit monotonous. It is fun blasting up the island with the wind at your back, going pretty much as fast as the speed limit allows!


   One little side job I took care of for myself was swapping the cool Campagnolo aero seatpost with the winged wheel logo that originally came on the Atala for a simpler version (first photo below) with a band logo – the fancier logoed (not a word, I bet) part was expensive. My Colnago had a modern Bontrager black carbon fiber post that just didn’t look right with the chrome-laden vintage frame, so I claimed the cool Campy part as my own (photos below). I’m hoping to make a little profit from reselling the carbon fiber post.




   My Regina CX freewheel arrived yesterday, and I spent the day putting the finishing touches on the Atala restoration. The freewheel came in its original box, with very little wear on any of the teeth (see photo below). I applied a little grease on the threads and screwed it on by hand – pedaling motion will lock it down tight, anyway.


   I slipped the wheel on then began threading the derailleur cables through the frame. Sinces it was in good shape, I had saved the short piece of cable housing that fit near the rear derailleur. I noticed that, unlike modern derailleurs, the vintage Campagnolo rear mechanism had a hole that fit the cable housing diameter (see red circled area in photo below), so I slipped off the back metal ferrule. The ferrule on the other end has a taper that slides into a braze-on ring on the right chainstay (green circled area).


   The adjustment screws on this vintage derailleur were somewhat simpler than modern parts in that you could see which screws limited the upper and lower movements, without having to get out a microscope to read the “L” or “H” that typically label the screws these days! A few turns of the screwdriver, and everything shifted smoothly. I did, however, have to tighten up the friction in the downtube levers (also replacement vintage parts) to hold the individual shifts in place.


   The front derailleur shifted smoothly the way it was set up, and I’m hoping the pre-stretched Campagnolo cables I bought will eliminate any needed adjustments for the bike’s future owner. I did a quick wipedown of all the parts to remove any greasy fingerprints, then washed up before putting on the new bar tape.




   This was really a fun project, and I learned a ton of new information about Campagnolo parts and their history. I have a couple new projects in mind, including another possible restoration/resale-type job on a Colnago and the search for a carbon fiber bike for my neighbor. We’re contemplating an alternative purchase of a frame and building it up with selected components to save money – trying to bring it in around $1000.

   I’m also trying to get my brother into cycling and will be taking one of my own bikes up to Bethlehem for him to try out this weekend. He’s been riding a hybrid bike that is proving a bit cumbersome for his liking – I sense his need for speed! We’ll do 20 miles or so together, and I hope he catches “the bug”.

   Dad and I also have a future return to the GAP Trail planned, in order to complete the western end into Pittsburgh, so stay tuned!



No comments :

Post a Comment