Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Picture Day

   For a while now I have been contemplating the idea of finding unique locations in which to take photographs of my completed projects. Not only am I getting bored with shooting in the same spots around my yard, but I think interesting backgrounds will make the bicycles more attractive to prospective buyers!

   For me it was a no-brainer where to take some pics of the Ridley Icarus SLS, after I put the last touches on the bike – in this case some cool Belgian flag-striped finishing tape on the handlebars (photo left). There is a gnarly short section of uphill cobbled road in nearby Phoenixville that just screams Roubaix to me, and knew this would be perfect background for the “Flandrien”-branded bicycle.
   I have often been tempted to ride up this little stretch of road, but unlike some of the roads in Belgium that are regularly tended to by the race’s “friends” societies, this American pavé is very neglected. The location is usually near the beginning of some of my regular ride loops, and I always fear a puncture – or worse – before my ride really gets started. Someday I’m just going to take the chance!
   One thing I hadn’t really considered is how to stand up the bicycle for the photos, without having anything like a wall on which to lean it. I’ve seen all sorts of artistic, gravity-defying bike images on the internet, and did a quick search for ideas. There were, of course, plenty of wise asses out there suggesting magic, helium balloons and fishing line, etc., but there were also some interesting ideas, such as having two people take turns holding each wheel and then merging the two images of “empty” wheels.
   I really wanted to do this on my own and without having to purchase any kickstand-inspired contraption, so I did some experimenting. I eventually came up with a solution using a simple one inch dowel with a notch cut in one end, and the other trimmed at an angle to lay flat on the ground. I wedged the dowel under the chainstay to create back pressure and then rotated the wheel so that the valve stem would fit into the notch.


   I not only achieved a stable tripod with the dowel and each wheel as contact points with the ground, but also managed to keep the bicycle from rolling with the valve stem anchored in the notch. I painted black the side that would be in view and left the back edge unpainted with a red “up” arrow for quick visual reference for setup.
   Not that the cobbled road is heavily traveled, but I parked about halfway up the street and left the car directly behind me with blinkers on for protection from anyone that may turn and not expect someone to be there taking photos! I’m really happy with these shots...








   Last Sunday’s Tour of Flanders definitely lived up to my expectations, with three-time winner Fabian Cancellara (Trek-Segafredo) and Peter Sagan (Tinkoff) showing their dominant form. The current World Champion broke away with last season’s World Champ, Michal Kwiatkowski (Sky) and Sep Vanmarke (Lotto-Jumbo) with about 30 km left, bridging up to an earlier breakaway group.
   Knowing that his every move would be closely watched, Cancellara patiently waited near the front of the chasing peloton and allowed rival teams to keep things close until the last time up the Oude Kwaremont, the longest climb on the route. Up ahead Sagan and Vanmarcke accelerated away from the fracturing breakaway and Cancellara (seemingly) effortlessly powered away from his fading group.
   Holding an 18 second lead at the foot of the route’s final climb, the Paterberg, Sagan (photo right) bid goodbye to Vanmarcke, with only 13 km to the finish line. Vanmarcke was able to catch onto Cancellara as he flew by at the top of the climb but didn’t contribute much to the ensuing chase. The Belgian may not have had a whole lot left to give at this point, but I suspect, from his resume full of second, third and fourth places, that he didn’t want to expend a ton of energy, just to lose out to two rivals who in the past have shown the ability to beat him in the sprint.
   It didn’t really seem to matter, as Sagan looked incredibly strong, time-trialing in by himself to win by 25 seconds. Knowing that Cancellara plans to retire at the end of this season, Vanmarcke made a classy gesture by not even contesting the sprint for second place, allowing his Swiss rival to ride in alone and giving the crowd the opportunity to salute the cyclist many see as an “adopted Flandrien”.

Be sure to catch the spectacle of Paris-Roubaix on Sunday morning!



No comments :

Post a Comment