Tuesday, May 8, 2012

More Shiny Objects

   I recently purchased from an eBay seller in the Netherlands a fantastic Colnago frame from the early 1990s – EXACTLY what I was looking for! The frame is specifically a C-97 Competition Decor model (see photo left), and the beautiful royal blue color makes it easy for me to imagine the powerful Mapei team from that time period riding a similar bike!
   As I explained in my last post, I stripped down my previous Colnago bicycle and sold the frame. Although I saved most of the components from the Dream Lux, it had a threadless headset with a stem clamped to the steering tube, while the C-97 requires the traditional threaded headset and a quill stem (see comparison photos below from Sheldon Brown’s excellent cycling website). My pals at Bikesport recommended that I have the headtube re-faced and reamed before pressing the headset in place, due to some paint chipping and oxidation on the head tube. Since this could cause uneven seating of the headset races, I figured this is the last thing anyone would want to happen to a brand new Campagnolo Record headset!


   I don’t have experience with (or the specialized tools for) pressing a headset, so I decided that this was another step to leave for the pros! While this whole process wasn’t going to be cheap, it was definitely something I wanted done correctly, and I was surprised by a timely Bikesport coupon for discounted parts that arrived in the mail, which helped lessen the pain from the service charge.
   I picked up the completed job (photo below right) a few days ago, and I knew I had made the right choice, because one of the guys was polishing the chrome with a rag to remove any fingerprints. I would expect a top-quality shop to have appreciation for “the good stuff”, and I especially enjoyed the look of admiration on the mechanic’s face when he handed the frame to me over the counter.

   I had been disappointed with the lack of paying customers down in the shop this spring, but I finally have a couple folks scheduled next week for some minor work. When I have a chance, I will update the progress assembling my C-97. I also plan on discussing a little side project for my wife that I have been working on for a few months.

Hope you are checking out the Giro d’Italia – fantastic to see American Taylor Phinney wearing the maglia rosa!

No comments :

Post a Comment