Wednesday, June 6, 2012

New Jersey's Columbia Trail

   Getting in rides this spring has been a bit of a challenge with thunderstorms that have been popping up nearly every day. Late morning/early afternoon rides have been routine, but I don’t feel like I’m getting much out of them. Perhaps it takes me a bit of time to shake out the sleep, or I really need the breakfast energy to kick in, but I’ve never been much of a morning rider. I felt really sympathetic for Sue having to get up at 5:30 for a 7:00 triathlon start on Sunday – she did very well, by the way, but that definitely wouldn’t work for me!

   Last Wednesday my father and I lucked out with just enough of a weather break to fit in a ride on the Columbia Trail, about a 22 mile round trip between the New Jersey towns of High Bridge and Long Valley. The route was a former New Jersey Central Railroad line that mostly follows the easy grade of the South Branch of the Raritan River through Dover and on towards the Hudson River ports. Several points along the trail feature historical markers, including one that describes the 1885 wreck of an iron ore train that occurred on one of the bridges (photo left). The trail bears the name of the engine Columbia, that derailed and crashed into the river below.
   Dad hadn’t been riding as regularly as he had in the past, so he wasn’t in top shape, but he did fine. I pointed out to him that I always enjoy taking break from the typical “ride myself into the ground” pace. I found out later when I examined the trail’s profile on MapMyRide, that its course actually had a climb of about 220 feet, but it was so gradual, it was hardly noticeable. Well, let’s just say that I noticed less than my father did.
   The scenery in the first few miles was fantastic, as the trail cuts through the Ken Lockwood Gorge. It was a cool morning, but I bet the thick forest cover overhead would keep the temperature comfortable anyway. The area is known for excellent trout fishing, and we saw several folks with poles trying their luck during our ride.
   The town of Califon, about halfway along the trail, has over 170 buildings of Victorian architecture on the National Register of Historic Places. Legend has it that when the neat little stone train station was built, the sign painter ran out of room for the town's original name of California, abbreviated it somewhat to fit and the name stuck.

   Scenery beyond the town was quite different, but still pretty in its own right, as the trail crossed through farmlands (photo right). Unfortunately frequent horseback riders have taken their toll on the cinder surface, and the constant bumps felt like someone was trying to shake our bikes apart! About 8 miles out, Dad had enough and decided to take a butt break in a nice little area with a bench near a bridge over the river. I took the opportunity to “let ‘er rip” for the remaining few miles while he rested for the return leg.
   I appreciated the comfortable position and more cushioned ride of the mountain bike during our previous trip together, but I had the ‘cross bike this time around. Its racing bike geometry is more built for speed - perfect for the flat cinder track. I always tell Sue how much I like riding with her, getting warmed up before I do my regular workouts, and I had a similar feeling in this case, as it seemed like I covered the remaining six miles in no time!
   On the way back we noted how few people we had encountered during our ride. It may have been because it was early afternoon, midweek during the school year, but another factor is probably that the trail only intersects really small towns. While the remote location is an attraction for us, unfortunately such instances result in a lack of upkeep, and I would hate for such a wonderful site like the Columbia Trail to be neglected.   

  

  

1 comment :

  1. After reading your article I rode the Columbia trail also. It was great! Thanks

    ReplyDelete