Monday, June 3, 2013

Some R & R

   Just a fairly short entry today, since I haven't had much to write about the last couple of weeks while still in the process of collecting parts for the Atala bicycle project. I'm most of the way there, with only pedals remaining on my "Needs" list. There have been plenty of items available on eBay (except for the freewheel, which is an upcoming story in itself), but I have been very patient to get reasonable prices. I'm awaiting delivery of a few parts that will be installed together, then I can give a better progress report.
   Although nothing really newsworthy has been involved, a few customers have been in the shop recently. Some of these repairs have also involved collecting of parts, particularly a neighbor who needed most of a new drivetrain. His '80s Trek, while in decent overall shape, had never had its chain or rings replaced and showed major wear.
  
   This has been the earliest in a calendar year that I've hit the 1000-mile-mark, but I was discouraged lately about how I've felt out riding, with rather dead legs and not a lot of jump. I was hoping my body was just slow responding to the heat, since the temperature rose into the 90s after a week or so in the 60s and 70s. I did a good amount of fall and winter riding, and maybe its just taking me longer to get into "the season".
   I've been eating and drinking properly, especially on the longer rides, and I would discount sleep as a factor, because mine has ALWAYS been erratic. Sue suggested that maybe I just need a extra day or two off, since she has fine-tuned her triathlon training and has found the value of rest days in order to keep fresh. Looking at the forecast, she had also noticed the heat wave was due to break, so I took her advice.
   I was encouraged by how I felt today after taking a three-day haitus from my regular riding schedule. A shorter, 20-mile route on a cloudy, mid 70s day was good medicine as well. And who says guys never listen to what their wives say?
  

No comments :

Post a Comment