Monday, July 15, 2013

Trail etiquette...or LACK thereof

   Sue really wanted to put in some miles yesterday in preparation for a century we are doing in August, so she joined me for a ride into Philadelphia. The 50-mile out-and-back route was mostly on the Schuylkill Trail from just outside Phoenixville, but near Manayunk the trail is unpaved, so road cyclists take a detour on the streets, which include some hills that are quite challenging for the less experienced riders and some tight traffic situations within the Main Street shopping district in that part of the city (photo below).


   This on-road section of the ride used to be our least favorite, but we may be starting to change our minds with the lack of courtesy shown on the trail by joggers, walkers and, most surprisingly, by fellow cyclists. I know we are travelling faster than the average person getting in touch with nature out on his/her cruiser bike for the weekend, but we are very conscious of giving notice that we are “Passing” or “On your left”.
   However, it’s difficult these days to tell if someone is even listening to a warning, with people listening to music on earphones or, my personal favorite, having a conversation on the phone. The trails on the weekend are simply too congested to be in your own little world. I will only wear headphones on very isolated trails, where interaction with other cyclists, etc. is infrequent. The Schuylkill Trail also has the added danger of several road crossings that make earphone use unwise.
   If you don’t know by now, I HATE cell phones and vow never to use one unless it’s an emergency - if I’m not at home, I really don’t want anyone bothering me. I think that for most people, cell phone use is a convenience that has become an addiction; there is no reason to be talking on the phone if you are out exercising, unless you have collapsed from said exercise!
   There were numerous walkers who didn’t bother to acknowledge my voice when I came up behind them, and other than a couple of old folks, cell phone use was the primary reason. I lost my temper a few times when I saw someone riding by while on the phone or better yet, texting. Really, you must have a transplant donor trying to contact you with that new brain!
   I don’t want to leave out mentioning the people who just have a bad attitude towards cyclists. We were coming up behind a pack of people walking across the trail, and I yelled out to alert them. They didn’t move very much, and Sue repeated a warning, which was met with a whiny, “Okay, okay, we heard you the first time.” I generally refuse to respond to such comments, but I certainly thought, “Maybe if you had moved more than an inch we wouldn’t have thought you were deaf!”
   I must admit that parents have improved in their responsibility to watch out for their cycling kids and remind them not to swerve all over. If children are holding a reasonably steady line, sometimes sneaking quietly by them, instead of giving verbal warning, seems like a better strategy. God only knows what they’re going to do if I yell “On your left!” They usually just panic completely, but I imagine their little minds racing with “Whose left? Wait, which direction is left?”

   I only wish the parents would improve their action, such as the couple riding their mountain bikes side by side on a particularly narrow section nearing Boat House Row. Again, they didn’t budge a bit when we called out! We were then met by the new Scourge of the Schuylkill, the rental pedal car, with two grown men badly completing a U-turn right in the way of oncoming cyclists in both directions. I won’t share with you the words that Sue and I muttered, but remember that we are fluent in “French”.
   My all-time favorite trail etiquette story while riding the trail near the Art Museum could include people of any size, shape, sex or race, but to provide a perfect mental image, I will tell you that three wide-hipped black teen girls were walking side by side, with absolutely NO ROOM for us to pass by. I gave plenty of warning without any result, and then reworded my phrase, “Passing, please”.
   I slowed to a standing-on-the-pedals crawl and said, “Excuse me.”  One of the girls responded by turning slightly so that I could squeeze by. Understandably annoyed, I turned and said, “The trail is here to share, girls,” to which one lovely female answered, “SHUT UP! 

   I had no response – really, what do you say to that?


No comments :

Post a Comment