Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Progress...in baby steps

   While I continue to be frustrated in my search for a headset and a seat post for my Colnago, I have been able to do some assembly recently. I received the bottom bracket spindle of the appropriate length in the mail last week, and put together the major components of the drive train, although I'm leaving off the chain. I figured why risk having it accidentally bounce into the chain stays until the headset is installed.


   Another difficult part to find has been the gum rubber covers for the brake hoods. I have seen some new, old stock pieces sold recently, but at pretty outrageous prices! I'm considering purchasing some Campagnolo levers with the covers, removing them and then reselling the levers.

   I also received all the parts necessary to fix up the hybrid bike. I found out one of the shifters was stripped - perhaps someone tried to change gears with the rusty cables seized up inside their housings. I was disappointed about having to purchase new parts after finding out that a working version of this model of shifter/brake combo (released 20 years ago) is nearly impossible to find. However, I was able to purchase inexpensive levers identical to the pair I used on my father's upright conversion last summer.
   These shifter/brakes have an excellent feature that enables conversion to linear pull for road bike cantilever brakes from the V-brake mountain bike-type setup by flipping a small plastic wedge that sits under the brake lever. The package came with new cables, so I felt better that I didn't have to purchase those parts as well.
   With the new grips and some Continental cyclocross tires installed, the bike is ready to go...that is, whenever we escape the grip of this BRUTAL winter!



   I also received word that the Pinarello frame that needed some airbrushing is finally done. I plan to pick that up tomorrow on my way to take my son to class. Other than some cables and housing, I have everything sitting in my shop to complete that project.

   I know it seems like jumping the gun, but I actually have a couple more projects lined up. I'm always on the lookout for a fantastic bicycle deal, especially when the machine involved has collectability and only requires some minor work to make it roadworthy. More to come soon.



No comments :

Post a Comment