Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Getting out from under my pile of parts

   Just over a week ago I had three bicycles completely disassembled and stored on various shelves in my basement shop. I am finally seeing some space open up, after completing Carrick’s Giant FCR1 and making significant progress on the Pinarello Prince.


   Carrick really did a great job and was very patient with my directions, and other than a few of the more complicated tasks, he only had to be told once for each step. I have to admit that there are times when I’m working that I wish that I had a third hand, and it was sure nice to have four during this build. I usually manage alright by myself, but setting up the derailleurs and brakes is so much easier when someone is holding the cable taut while I tighten the bolt.
   I could have built up the bike with its original stock parts, using Bikepedia for reference, but in an effort to upgrade some of the lesser quality parts while still staying within a budget, I pieced together my own set, although it is dominated by Shimano. I admit when I put together my own bicycles, especially the vintage builds, I like to consolidate my component groups, such as all-Campagnolo, etc. With Carrick’s bike, I did try to at least pair up component manufacturers whenever possible, so as not to have a complete mismatch of parts - for instance, the seat post and saddle are both Origin 8 parts.
   Although drivetrain components made by Shimano and SRAM are compatible, I wasn’t too pleased by having derailleurs by the former and a crankset by the latter, but the 8-speed chain (the correct width is important) we purchased is a SRAM product, so we felt that “evened things out”. Some of the odd parts are accessory-type items, like the Bontrager bottle cages, ultra-cool RockBros platform pedal and Specialized wireless computer – Carrick liked the neat way it mounts via the steering tube cap, centered directly above the stem.



   The Shimano wheelset actually came from Sue’s Cannondale. About a year ago she took her front wheel off and leaned it against the back bumper while she loaded the bike into her car. She then forgot to grab the wheel and accidentally backed up over it, gouging the rim very badly on the breaking surface. She really liked the interesting spoke pattern on the R540 wheels, but being in the middle of her triathlon season, we couldn’t really be patient to search for the odd wheel and just purchased a different set.
   With the one leftover wheel, we had the opportunity to save some money on Carrick’s build, and I could now take the opportunity to search for the match. My plan worked out perfectly as I eventually surprised Sue by swapping back her “old favorites” one evening and then loaded the bike back in the car for her regular afterschool ride. The R500s now on the Giant have a higher spoke count than Sue’s R540s, and since Carrick is now the tallest of our family, the sturdier-built wheels are probably a good idea for a kid his size!

   I was able to assemble the basics on the Prince this afternoon, putting the fork and headset together. I had to saw off about a quarter inch from the carbon steering tube to have all of the spacers, stem and top cap fit perfectly. I screwed the rear derailleur hanger back on then mounted both wheels so that I could stand the bike up and center the stem and handlebars. I also took a couple of minutes to bolt on the front and rear brake calipers.


It looks pretty good, although I obviously still have a good amount of work left to do!

No comments :

Post a Comment