Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Molto Bella Bicicletta

   It has come a long way from the mess (see it here) that was delivered to my front door last February, but the completed Pinarello Treviso looks pretty fantastic, if I may be allowed to express my biased opinion. After the disassembly complications, hours of frame stripping/cleaning, inspection with Peter Dreesens, repaint work with Bruce Tatem at Virtuair Studios, application of decals, and ultimately reassembly, the project has finally come to a close!

   Most of the work was straightforward, since most of the parts were in top condition, but there were just a few minor tweaks to have everything operating properly. There was a washer missing from the front derailleur, but that was a simple fix with my spare parts collection. I had to find the proper position for the rear wheels and then set the dropout adjusting screws in the appropriate spots.
   The brake pads needed to be readjusted to align correctly with the rims, as the Pinarello fork had slightly different dimensions from the incorrect Tange version which was included with the bike when it was delivered. I always get uptight about setting up the front derailleur on pristine paint, since the bracket is bound to mark the seatpost when it is tightened, but it is just a matter of loosely closing the part until you find the correct height to clear the large chainring.
   I also found that the chain had not been sized correctly on the Treviso as it was delivered. Removing a couple links was necessary, especially to prevent the slack in the chain from slapping down on the chainstay’s fresh paint job when a rider hits a bump!
   With some of the freezing rain and icy conditions we’ve had lately, I had to wait a couple of days to snap some pictures. The last thing I wanted to do was slip on the driveway and scrape up the “new” bike!
   I took plenty of shots to prepare for listing the Pinarello, since there are so many details I wanted to highlight. If you are interested in a fantastic vintage machine, or know someone who is, please let me know.








   While I am awaiting delivery of the Bottecchia frame from overseas, I have collected most of the parts required for the build. I have the Dura Ace rear derailleur leftover from the Bianchi Cross Concept conversion, but I needed to find a matching front derailleur to match. I’m still on the lookout for a crankset at a decent price to complete the drivetrain.


   The frame purchase included the original ITM seatpost, and I found a Selle Italia Flite “Team Edition” saddle that nicely matches the bike’s paint scheme.   Building up from the existing Miche headset, I’ll use a quill adapter to accept the more modern ITM stem setup. I also purchased some ITM Super 330 anatomic handlebars to go with the stem. I have the Dura Ace brake/shift levers from the Bianchi and will try to find some white Cinelli bar tape to finish the bicycle “cockpit”.



   I hooked up with a seller on craigslist for an excellent set of racing-quality Mavic SUP wheels built with Dura Ace hubs. They came with a decent pair of Continental tires already installed, but I’ll hang onto those, because Michelin was the tire of choice for the ZG Mobili team. I also talked a seller down $10 from his asking price on a Dura Ace brakeset.



A little luck is key, but I’m pleased that quality components can still be found, while keeping within a reasonable budget!


No comments :

Post a Comment