Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Bella Bicicletta Azzura

   Not a whole lot to write about this week, as the goal was mainly to complete the Pinarello Veneto and post some photos of the finished product. There weren't any real complications to the assembly, except for the noisy operation of the rear derailleur and chain that was occurring when I spun the pedals.
   Turns out that after I sized the chain, I failed to notice that the Campagnolo rear derailleur had a small guide fin on the cage near the upper pulley wheel, and I had mistakenly installed the chain on the outside of that fin.
   Luckily the chain had a master link that could be opened and then reconnected, so rerouting it was a simple operation. No need to mess with the chain tool and remove any pins!
   An operation that can be a bit frustrating is cutting lengths of housing for the cables. It is a simple job to replace housing, as you can use the old pieces as a guide to cut new lengths. However, with a bare frame it really is a matter of trial and error to maintain the proper amount of slack, especially in areas around the handlebars, where turning can pinch or stretch the cable if the housing is cut to the incorrect length.
   From years of practice, I've learned to err on the long side, so that I can trim to the correct fit. Early on in my build experiences I ended up with a good collection of mistake pieces that I had set aside to eventually be used for smaller sections, such as between the chain stay and rear derailleur or from the top tube to rear brake. I'm finally nearing a point where I'll have used up all those "blunder bits".

The Veneto is now listed in my For Sale page!









 

No comments :

Post a Comment