Thursday, August 17, 2017

It's a small (and sometimes flat) world!

(8th and final trip log)

   We took our time packing up from our Rotterdam apartment and caught the tram back the kilometer or so to the station. Two and a half weeks into this adventure, we were both “three euros interested” in not having to haul our bags any more than we had to!
    After less than an hour train ride into the immense Amsterdam train shed, we still had a little time to kill before checking into the houseboat property on which we were staying across the IJ (pronounced “eye) River. Sue left me in a quiet spot with our luggage and went to find the food store, which was supposed to be close by.
   When she returned, I glanced across the hallway in which we were sitting and noticed a teenaged boy wearing a “Hill Soccer” t-shirt. The colors matched up with those of the Hill School in Pottstown, about a 20-minute drive from our home. I quickly walked across to ask, “That’s not the Hill School, is it?”
   The boy and his father both gave me a stunned look. “It sure is!” they answered, almost in unison. I told them where we lived, and received a “You’ve got to be kidding,” since John, his son Johnny and family live just a couple miles away from us in Limerick Township. In fact, they knew a few of the guys I ride with regularly, as the children attended Upper Providence Elementary, where my friends teach.
   John explained that they had been using Amsterdam as a home base and were heading out to Bruges. After telling them how much we enjoyed the city, they said they were heading home on Wednesday, and I told them we were, too. Of course, the next question was, “What city are you flying to?” You could probably guess by the way this is going, that we ended up on the same flight!

The massive train shed, as viewed from the northside of the IJ

   Exiting the station to the ferry, Sue and I were stunned by the thousands of bicycles stored in the area. There was even a barge docked directly in front of the station – just for daily on-deck bicycle parking!



   I want to mention how impressed I was by the transportation around Holland (provincially-speaking), with street-level trams and buses, subways and trains running everywhere, on time with convenient connections. Rotterdam also had integrated the impressive highspeed waterbuses into their system, and Amsterdam’s FREE ferry stopped at several locations up and down the waterfront!
   Sure, there are automobiles, but unlike the U.S., they are de-emphasized as the primary means of transportation. Bicycles are the way to move, and it really is ridiculous to think of the small trips we Americans make every day in our (often WAY-oversized) cars.
   People can argue about the independence achieved with an automobile, and certainly a car is useful when moving between rural locations, but wasting the premium space of an inner city with parking lots just isn’t logical. Now, I realize there are some cities without convenient waterways and others where subway construction isn’t feasible, but light-rail trains and trams are possible anywhere. And it is amazing to experience the flow of people when every street has bike lanes and pedestrian-only avenues are a common feature!


   Getting onto the ferry was difficult for newbies like us, as we just weren’t used to negotiating the flow of pedestrians, cyclists and (motor)scooter riders – especially with the luggage! We became even more alert to being run over when exiting the ferry, as folks were opening up the speed, instead of when they were slowing onto the deck.
   Near the north-side ferry slip were the cool Eye Filmmuseum building and the A’DAM Lookout, which includes swings that hangs out over the edge of the 20-story rooftop (second photo below). I wasn’t interested in that for any number of euros! We had a pleasant walk along the canal and across a lock to reach our accommodations.




   Since we had full cooking and cold storage facilities here, we took a walk out to the Jumbo market. I was familiar with the store only because it is a co-sponsor (with Lotto-NL) of a pro cycling team, but it turned out to be like an undersized Wegman’s with one of the best selections of gluten-free products I have ever seen...PAAARTY! They also had these large blocks of chocolate, with the unexpected name of “Tony’s Chocolonely”, to which we had become addicted – sea salted caramel in milk chocolate for Sue, dark with sea salted almonds for me.
   Later we hopped on the short ferry across the river, then took another longer trip down river to Buiksloterham, a former port area that is being re-developed. Right at the ferry slip is the Amsterdam Botel, now docked semi-permanently at this site - the letters are actually rooms! Much of the area is being cleared, but a few properties have been converted to residential use. Some are interesting (a huge grain warehouse, and a crane), and some are kind of sketchy (stackable ship containers).





   I have to say, at this point Sue and I were finding Amsterdam to be a bit disappointing. It certainly had more old world charm than Rotterdam, but the streets here were overrun by tourists and the surroundings were drab, and at times really filthy. We also noticed that the people, despite the city's wild reputation, seemed really gruff and often downright rude. Sue commented how she found the Parisians to be so much more friendly - so that's saying something!
   I don’t want to be overly critical of the city, because I had one particularly fantastic day full of Rembrandt (personal favorite) and Van Gogh. I also had an unexpectedly enjoyable European naval history lesson at the Rijksmuseum. I'll leave you to look up the Battle of Medway, if you are even remotely interested, but I was fascinated by the display, which included an immense oil painting detailing the battle, the complete stern facade from the captured British flagship Royal Charles and the incredibly detailed replica of a Dutch warship, which was about the height/length of a Sunfish sailboat. I was amazed to think that the actual warship was twelve times the size of the model, and I amused myself to think of the damage this little vessel could inflict out on the Schuylkill’s Boathouse Row!

   We found the city to be much more attractive from canal level during our boat tour the next afternoon. Maybe it was because the guides were taking us to the more scenic parts of town, or perhaps it was because, from that low vantage point, we couldn’t see as much of the kitschy storefronts or dirty streets.
   Many of the bridges under which we passed had little cut-outs with a cleat that could be used to tie open-top boats onto and keep passengers out of the rain. At one point our guides took advantage of one of these temporary shelters, since they were keeping watch on the radar for a passing shower, but nothing but a few drops came down.



Amsterdam has its share of unstable foundations and leaning buildings!

A famous view of the "Seven Bridges", all of similar construction


   Using a bicycle route map that was left at our room, I had planned a loop ride out to the rural areas north of the city, part of which would traverse the dikes lining the Markermeer. This was once part of the Zuiderzee, a saltwater inlet from the North Sea that was dammed in 1932 to form the freshwater IJsselmeer (not a typo, they leave the capital “IJ”, to denote the outlet of the namesake river). In 1976, this body of water was split in two again by a dam project, forming the Markermeer on the southern end.
   Sue was interested in riding west to Haarlem, and I really didn’t want to do the (planned) total 40+ miles on one of the utility-type bikes, so we stopped at a few rental places to see if they had any wielrenfietsen (sport bikes) available. The super-friendly staff at "A-bike Shop" hooked me up with an excellent Sensa Umbria – not a brand I was familiar with, but even with its lower-level Shimano Claris components, it turned out to function well and was one of the quietest bikes I’ve ever ridden!
   They were also reserving for Sue an excellent hybrid bike made by Gazelle, the largest and most famous manufacturer of Dutch bicycles.They used to produce high-end racing machines, but have moved away from them because of market demand in the country – and based on how difficult it was to find a decent road bike, I can understand their decision! 
   We started off riding from our side of the river out to Buiksloterham and took the ferry across to the western docks of Amsterdam. From there it was just under ten miles, weaving through a couple of parks, while following the general route of the Haarlemmerweg canal.
   The skies were overcast most of the day, but the rain held off. Unfortunately there was a 15-20 mph wind hitting us right in the face the whole ride west. I was at an advantage with the more aerodynamic riding position, while Sue was really fighting the wind on her upright bike. She couldn’t really tuck in behind me to draft effectively either.
   Sue was pretty much toast when we arrived in Haarlem, which had more of the small-town look and feel we enjoyed in Bruges. We sat down on a bench along the River Spaarne and enjoyed a makeshift picnic, while Sue contemplated taking the train back to Amsterdam. She was interested in maybe doing a little riding around the city and thought the ride back would ruin any chance of doing that, so we rode to the station to see how much it would be.

Along the Spaarne in Haarlem
   I put a little effort into trying to talk her out of it, since the wind at our backs would be much more fun on the return journey, but I think she knew how much I was looking forward to really letting the pedals fly. When Sue looked at the ticket screen at the terminal and said, “Oh yeah, I’m ten euros interested in the train,” I knew I was on my own.
   She had a little bit of a wait for the next arrival, and there were a couple intermediate stops, but I was still a bit shocked when I arrived back at our room before her. That wasn’t exactly some rinky-dink local shuttle covering that 10 miles, so I must have been moving! I did a quick rearrangement of some of the kit I take with me for emergencies, grabbed a digital camera, plus my little sheet with directions and off I went on the next section of my ride.
   I was a little misdirected at one point and ended up a mile or so down the wrong road, and then a local gentleman sent me the wrong way. I ended up at a small bus shelter that had a great map, and a young woman who lived nearby helped to show me exactly where I needed to go.



   From there on, I was going pretty much where I had planned, crossing through beautiful open farmland and over neat little bridges at the intersecting canals. My original intention was to cross the larger waterway on my right at a small ferry in the town of Holysloot, but when I arrived at the trail that was supposed to take me there, it was nothing but a series of rickety plank bridges and a flattened grass track leading off towards the town. I didn’t really want to risk this rental bike on that terrain, and the signpost detailing the privately-run ferry left me questioning whether the operator was even going to be there by the time I reached it. I decided to do a five-mile detour out around to a bridge crossing to the north, which I had already checked out in my pre-planning session, just in case!
   At this point the weather started to turn a bit sour, as the winds kicked up even more and a misty rain started to fall – not a soaking downpour, just enough to make it unpleasant. I didn’t really notice how the village ahead and the tree line were blocking my view of the horizon, but as I emerged from the cluster of houses and followed the bike path up a small incline... WHAM - I was right on top of the dike looking out over the Markermeer, quite a dramatic entrance! I snapped some photos, panning left to right:




   I followed the path about a mile south until I was flanked by water on both sides. HERE is a nice YouTube video that someone shot of the area. This person had nicer weather and a whole lot more company up on the bike path, but I found it funny that you can also hear the howling wind in his video!


   Soon I was riding on a herringbone brick road into the pretty village of Durgerdam. Established in 1421, the community once thrived with fishermen, but the damming of the Zuiderzee brought that to a halt. There is still a bustling marina nearby and the area is a very popular cycling destination.


   I hadn’t really planned out the return to our accommodations too precisely from there, since it was pretty much just following the IJ River back to the canal. However, I was forced to take a couple of detours, first due to a ridiculous bridge repair (I think with a good amount of speed, and the construction debris out of the way, I might have been able to jump the stream!) and then a rural section of the trail that was closed “for improvements”. I planned just over forty miles, but ended up doing closer to sixty for the day and, except for a bit of frustration at being misdirected, loved every minute of it! 

   Yes, I was a bit tired of living out of a suitcase for three weeks (Sue for FIVE!), but I was disappointed to leave, particularly with the web of bike routes out there to explore. Sue was heading back on a separate flight as part of the package deal she bought when flying to Paris, so I wouldn’t have company returning to the States. However, I did have John and his family to help pass the (LONG) time waiting in the customs line in Newark – and they definitely know where to turn if they have any bike repairs or purchases to make!



No comments :

Post a Comment