Thursday, February 8, 2018

Un Peu de Français

  I would really love to put Campagnolo Super Record gruppo on all my vintage bicycle builds, but those components are becoming harder and harder to find, plus they demand premium prices. I would like to keep my builds within a budget that is reasonable to me and potential buyers, so I have developed a few strategies to combat the expense of the Italian parts.
   I found that by stepping down a level or two to Chorus or Athena components really helps, as many of those parts have a decent amount of design features that have “trickled down” from the development of the company’s top-of-the-line products. I have also discovered that I can sometimes save money by buying a complete “donor bike” that has the components I want, then simply swapping the parts to my project bicycle and selling the bare frame. Occasionally I’ll find a donor bicycle that can become a project on its own, maybe because it had some mismatched parts or perhaps some that were inappropriate to the style or era of the bike.
   The bike I'm currently trying to complete is called a Gios-Torino Super Record for a reason, and I couldn’t really short cut to a lower level of Campagnolo parts this time around. However, it didn’t take long for me to become completely discouraged by the outrageous asking prices for the groupsets I had seen online. I did happen to see an interesting 1979 Peugeot bicycle that someone had equipped with mostly Super Record parts. At 58 centimeters, its size was a bit larger than I usually purchase, but I kept an eye on it for a few weeks until the price dropped significantly.
   When I made an offer at just a few bucks lower, and it was accepted, I began to look at the opportunity of doing a full French build on this classic PX 10/E, one of the company’s most popular professional-quality racing bikes of the 1960s-70s. Vintage bicycle fans have put together a few invaluable websites which feature old catalogs that had been scanned and uploaded, and I started to do some research on Peugeot machines to find out what parts they might have originally included. I wasn’t necessarily going to be exact, but I could use these resources as a guide to get as close as possible and achieve a bicycle build with a true Gallic feel.
   This particular PX 10/E came to me with stem/handlebars and seatpost made, respectively, by French companies Pivo and Laprade, so I planned on keeping those. Also included was a classic leather saddle by BIM, a quality French “Brooks-alike” product.


   I quickly turned to searching for the appropriate Simplex derailleurs, and found a set that was specially marked for Peugeot!


    St. Etienne-based manufacturer CLB had also put out a special Peugeot brakeset, but those are extremely rare (and I would guess pricey), so I settled for the standard version. CLB was second only to Mafac as the leading post-WW2 French manufacturer of brakes, and I really liked the unique shape of their GL-series calipers.


   I was really fired up to find a Stronglight (yet another French company) crankset with Peugeot engravings and “drillium”. The boring out of the metal is really meant as a weight-reducing measure, but it can be a real work of art if done by the right hands!


   A set of era-appropriate Mavic wheels with Atom hubs and a Maillard 5-speed freewheel rounded out the collecting, and other than a bit of polishing, the parts all came to me in really nice condition. During preliminary assembly, I unfortunately found that the adjustable headset upper cup included on the Peugeot had stripped threads. It appears the previous user had just cinched down the locknut to hold everything in (somewhat precarious) place.
   I contacted the seller about the issue for a partial refund, but I’m not sure which direction I want to go - replace the worn-out part or the complete headset. It is a Shimano Arabesque model, a quality product with very attractive markings, but it really requires a special tool for proper assembly, and it is a Japanese product not really fitting in with my overall scheme. I’ll have to wait for the seller’s response and weigh my options, as far as cost and what other French parts might be available to swap in.

Shimano HP-6200, 600EX Arabesque headset

   At the other end of the shop, the Gios-Torino Super Record is coming together nicely, as far as the collecting of parts goes. The Campagnolo group that I swapped out from the Peugeot will take a bit of cleaning, but it is in really nice shape.
   I sanded down some of the rough spots on the Gios frame in anticipation of touching up those areas. I ordered a bottle of blue paint that was recommended online as a match for the company’s famous blue, but apparently the key is applying the reddish primer underneath to get the correct hue.


   We keep getting teased with a couple days of reasonable riding weather, only to be followed up with some brutal cold and snow. The pattern is driving me crazy, as I am pretty sick and tired of the indoor trainer. I actually yelled “Whoo-hoo!” when riding with some friends up a hill near Valley Forge, so excited I was to be out on the road for a little while. I don’t remember ever looking forward to spring so much!

No comments :

Post a Comment