Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Single-ring Saronni?

   First off, the replacement spring for the Campagnolo C-Record rear derailleur finally arrived in the mail, and I was able to put the finishing touches on Brendan’s Tommasini:







   During his pick-up visit, Brendan returned his KAS Vitus 979, with the intent for me to convert it to an all-Mavic set-up. For a little while I have been setting aside parts in anticipation of this project, and he also confessed he also had a recently-purchased purple 992 tucked away somewhere in his apartment, but those are stories for another time.

   A couple weeks ago I received a call from someone interested in the bikes I had for sale. Taylor mentioned how he liked my vintage builds but didn’t quite have the budget for the selection I currently had available. I asked what he was looking to spend and then suggested we might be able to do a custom build to one of the frames I had in stock.
   He had seen the Bottecchia single-speed conversion I had done recently for Brendan, as well as my Bianchi cyclocross bike with the 1x10 setup, and wondered if we might be able to do some type of “vintage 1x10”. So far It has turned into a bit of an experiment with mixed results.
   One of my concerns was trying to stay within a budget with Campagnolo parts, but one of Taylor’s early concessions was using a downtube shift lever, instead of the more costly modern combination brake/shift levers. I was able to find a set of Vento wheels, just like those currently on my Colnago, and because the Saronni paint/decal scheme was so close to that on my Master X-Light, Taylor encouraged me to go with a very similar look, including the Schwalbe tires with a thin red stripe.
    I found a nice set of Campagnolo brake levers with aero cable routing and a pair of Campy Triomphe shift levers, which have a high-polished finish, giving what I think is a nice blend of modern and vintage style. We decided to use a decorative cap on the left-hand shifter boss, instead of using a dummy lever in the 1x10 setup. Taylor also liked the look of the drilled-out single chainring I had included on Brendan’s Bottecchia, so I ordered one of those.


   It was soon obvious that, at the rate at which costs were starting to add up, it would be necessary to fall back on one of my money-saving strategies, finding a donor bike with a majority of the components needed to complete the project. In an amazingly short time, the perfect candidate was found on craigslist, in the form of a Torelli Brianza equipped with mid-range Campagnolo Centaur gruppo.


   The seller and I met up in the East Falls section of Philadelphia, and we had an enjoyable conversation about vintage bikes. I ribbed Steve about the splash bar tape on the bike, and he argued that it was era-appropriate. I, of course, argued that the handlebar abomination was NEVER appropriate, except for perhaps blind cyclists!
   It turned out that the reason he was selling the bike was to fund the recent purchase of a Colnago that was the expensive, carbon-fiber version of the aluminum bike I sold about a year ago (photo below). The best part of the deal was that Steve supplied me with a couple of extras that, when combined with the other parts that weren’t going to be used and could be sold off, will provide a wonderful budget cushion with which to finish the Saronni project! 


  
   Sue and I will be heading off on a trip to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, including lots of pedaling and paddling. Details to come...




No comments :

Post a Comment