Thursday, January 17, 2019

No Holiday Holding Pattern

   Despite not having written anything on the blog for the past few weeks during the holidays, I haven’t exactly been inactive down in my shop. A new friend dropped by with a Bianchi frameset he had just gotten back from a painter. He also had most of the Campagnolo parts for assembly, so I simply had to add a few details to otherwise complete the build.






  
   Todd was reluctant to cover up the beautiful celeste color with a decal set, but he seemed receptive to the idea of eventually adding a Bianchi head tube badge.

   I also managed to collect the last of the parts needed to build up my Look KG 231 – now it seems I’ll just have to wait for some proper riding weather, as winter has finally settled in on us in the northeast!

Specs: BRAKE/SHIFT LEVERS- Campagnolo Athena, DERAILLEURS (both)- Campagnolo Athena, HEADSET- Campagnolo Chorus, CRANKSET- FSA Carbon Pro (172.5mm, 50-34t); BOTTOM BRACKET- FSA; BRAKES- Mavic SSC; STEM- 3t 2002 Evol (110mm); HANDLEBARS- Kestrel carbon (42cm); SADDLE- Prologo Scratch; WHEELSET- Mavic Ksyrium Elite with Schwalbe Lugano tires






   After months of letting the frame hang in my shop, I finally (re)stripped the paint from my Pinarello Asolo. Quite honestly, I had become a bit discouraged with that project when my attempt at a yellow cromovelato finish was a complete bust. The yellow Dupli-Color Metalcast overcoat that I applied to the company’s Instant Chrome ended up looking more like the “Metallic Pea” tone of the Griswold’s Wagon Queen Family Truckster – NOT what I was going for!
   I took the bare Asolo over to my friend Bruce, and he is going to apply an Italian tricolor fade, which will look something like this:

    I have vintage Pinarello decals from VeloCals waiting to be applied, but that will be quite a while. The curing paint will have to sit several weeks to prevent the outgassing from causing bubbling issues under the decals.

   A really nice 2004 Look KG 451 had been available on eBay for quite some time, maybe because the listing didn’t include many photos and the bike had a couple mismatched parts. Since I had been on a bit of a Look “kick” lately, and the bike was at a really good price, I decided to pick it up. The bike needs Shimano Dura-Ace derailleurs (currently has Ultegra) to go with the rest of the component group, and the bars could probably use some new tape. I might want to “flatten down” that riser stem, but otherwise the bicycle is good-to-go!



   Finally, I took a drive up to New York City to make a sale, as well as pick up a bike. I also squeezed in a ride between the transactions – not any new territory included on the route, just a loop from the George Washington Bridge down to Central Park to do a few laps and then returning through the Bronx and back across to Manhattan via the High Bridge. I was glad that I had chosen to take my trail bike, as the wider tires helped smooth out some of the streets that have already seen their share of winter weather abuse.
   The bicycle I acquired is a 1990/91 Basso Loto (Italian for “lotus”), which is in remarkable condition with its original Shimano 600 (Ultegra) group. The bike belonged to a gentleman who works near Central Park and stored the bike in his office so that he could take the occasional spin. Perhaps because of the long commute home to Long Island, he no longer finds the time to ride the Basso regularly – and really, it is too nice of a bicycle to just sit around!


   He was mistakenly under the impression the bike was a 55cm, when it is actually a 59. That's a bit out of my normal range of size when I consider purchases, but the bike came at the right price! I was originally considering a Campagnolo swap of components (which could still be an option if an interested party came forward with that preference), but I think I will just give it some new bar tape, replace the modern saddle with something more era-appropriate and attempt to move the bike as-is.

All of the above are now listed on my FOR SALE page.



No comments :

Post a Comment