Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Rockaway Beach - Hey, Ho, Let's Go!

Yes, I know those are words to two different Ramones songs; I couldn’t get their music out of my head during my bike ride!

   The more I drive into the NYC vicinity, the more I am reminded how much I don’t like driving into the NYC vicinity. I am also reminded how much more convenient bicycle travel is in the area, particularly with the quantity of available bike lanes, both of the painted-on-road and completely road-separated variety.  
   Let me get my frustration out of the way first. In my somewhat manic desire to not pay an additional $15 in tolls, I always drive from Brooklyn, back over the free Manhattan Bridge, across the island on Canal Street and through the (free NJ-bound) Holland Tunnel.
   My bike ride (more on that coming) ended at 3:30, well before the supposed rush hour should start, and I was excited to think I would be out of there fairly quickly – yeah, right. The actual driving distance is just over ten miles from Brooklyn to Jersey City, and it took me THREE HOURS to go that far!
   I sat at one particular intersection, behind only one car, for ten minutes. Now that doesn’t sound like a long time, but I challenge you to go sit in your car for that amount of time, imagining you are at a traffic signal. It will (and does) seem like an eternity! There were just two lanes, one of which had a delivery truck double-parked within, and the other had a timid driver attempting an ill-advised left-hand turn across a gridlocked flow of impatient New York drivers.
   Not to be outdone, a Manhattan intersection near the entrance to the tunnel had me sitting for a half hour! The traffic cops assigned to the area were doing nothing to help the situation, as they would hold up cars to prevent gridlock and not consider that the drivers coming into Canal Street from the cross streets would leave us no room to advance when our change to a green light would finally happen. Of course, the same pattern occurred at successive intersections, and we were going no place.
   I know there was a Yankees home game that contributed somewhat to the heavy traffic – I’ve experience that nightmare before – and in retrospect, there may also have been a Mets game, matches for both Major League Soccer franchises and a concert in Central Park, but I’m just speculating.

   My main reason for the trip was a bicycle delivery in the East Midwood section of Brooklyn. A very kind gentleman named Solomon took me into his garage to see his collection of bicycles, and I laughed when I saw a unicycle hanging on one of the hooks. I explained that my wife was recently disappointed when she saw a cheap one on a local online marketplace and was beaten to it. I told him I wasn’t sure if she was crazy or just determined to have a half-bike more than me.
   Solomon quickly pulled it down and said, “Take it for your trouble delivering the bike!” My mild argument consisted of, “Are you sure?”, but I think he could see how excited I was to return with my little present for Sue.
   I had pulled into Solomon’s driveway to unload my bike, and I certainly didn’t want to be in his way. I told him of my plan for a ride in the area and asked about a good place to park for a couple hours. He pointed out that parking on his street was fine after noon (it was about 12:30), and a couple of folks were just leaving from in front of his house – aces!

   I recently learned that there would be no Jersey shore rides for me in the foreseeable future, as the Stone Harbor residence belonging to Sue’s family is in need of some major renovation/rebuilding, so I thought I could substitute a loop out to Coney Island across to Rockaway Beach and back as my “shore ride” this year.
   I started west on Avenue L and turned left on Ocean Parkway onto the relative safety of the traffic-separated bike lane. I’m saying “relative” because there were some really bad tree root upheavals/broken pavement sections to negotiate, and a couple drivers made “no-look” right-hand turns to threaten my well-being.
   It was about three miles to Brighton Beach, where I made a right on Neptune Avenue and pedaled about two more miles into Seagate, an appropriately-named community in which riffraff like me were definitely not welcome. The entrance looked like it belonged to a prison more than a neighborhood I would like to visit, let alone live in!
   I obviously wasn’t going to get a view from Coney Island Lighthouse, so I made a right on 37th Street to Coney Island Creek Park and took a photo out over Gravesend Bay of the weather-obscured Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. In fact, the whole day was pretty gloomy with very low clouds, but my luck held out and (spoiler alert) thunderstorms started right after I finished putting my bike back in the car.

  
   I did a U-turn to head back across Seagate to reach the west end of the Coney Island boardwalk. I was well aware that cycling on the boardwalk was not permitted after 10 a.m., but with the crappy weather, this far end was pretty desolate, so I did just a couple blocks before heading back to Neptune Avenue.


   Back into Brighton Beach, I passed under the MTA elevated tracks, were my route’s name changed to Emmons Avenue. I was now riding along an attractive marina area – I can imagine this would normally be a hoppin’ site during the summer, but it was pretty dead, due to the dreary skies and the fact that it was a weekday. At Brigham Street I zigzagged to the right on to a really nice road-separated bike lane along the Shore Parkway and Plumb Beach.
   I crossed the bridge over the Garritsen Inlet into the Marine Park neighborhood of southeast Brooklyn, and probably would have had a really nice view across Jamaica Bay to Rockaway Beach, but the low clouds completely eliminated that possibility. I made a right turn along Flatbush Avenue and soon passed Floyd Bennett Field.


   Named after a noted aviator who piloted the first plane over the North Pole, the site was New York’s first municipal airport, built in 1928 in response to the growth of commercial aviation after World War I. Despite its excellent facilities, it never saw much commercial use, as it was a bit isolated from Manhattan, and bus-to-subway connections didn’t start there until the 1940s. It was used for general aviation, and as a Naval Air Station during World War II, and then as a Naval Reserve Station until 1983.
   The U.S. Coast Guard used a section of the airfield from the 1930s up until 1988, and starting in 1934, the NYPD occupied Hangar 4 as the world’s first police aviation unit. Floyd Bennett Field is now part of the Gateway National Recreation area served by the National Park Service. I recently found out that a 2.4-mile loop of the runways hosts Tuesday night bicycle races June-August.
   I soon crossed the Marine Parkway Bridge over Jamaica Bay – again, no view to speak of, except the water below, and a light, misty rain was hitting me briefly. I pedaled west on Rockaway Point Boulevard until I reached Breezy Point, a private community that only allowed through-traffic to access the surf club at Breezy Point Tip.
   The side streets all had lift gates, but it was a simple swerve-around on my bike, and I made it over to a beautiful bike lane that runs between the dunes and the townhouses that have sprung up here recently. During Hurricane Sandy on October 29, 2012, this area known locally as “The Wedge” was devastated by fires caused by downed power lines and the fact that firefighters simply couldn’t respond, as the seven-foot tidal surge hampered their movements considerably.

An aerial view, taken shortly after the fire. You can see the bike lane,
underwater,cutting diagonally across the upper right of the image.

   I had made a big circle back to Rockaway Point Boulevard and cycled along the coast until I entered Jacob Riis Park. The beach facilities here were pretty sketchy, as I can guess the site was pummeled pretty hard by Sandy, and I’m thinking visitors probably prefer the more groomed beaches and amenities near Rockaway and Long Beach to the northeast.
   I took a right on 126th Street and rode on the boardwalk for a while. The low clouds obscured the upper floors of the high-rises all along the shore, which actually made the area more attractive to me. About 1/3 of the life guard stands were manned, as the beach was practically empty!
   At 109th I made a swerve to the left, down onto the Shore Front Parkway, which again, had a nicely painted bike lane. I’m guessing only about two or three miles of my whole 40-mile loop didn’t have some type of marked lane for cyclists!
   I left downtown Rockaway Beach at 94th Street, heading out the Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge. I had a tailwind and was flying along the Cross Bay Boulevard bike lane, through the marina communities on the spit of land in Broad Channel, into the southwest portion of Queens known as Howard Beach. Here the bike lane swerved over to the less busy 92nd Street, paralleling the heavily-trafficked boulevard.
   I made a left at 157th Street and a right turn on 84th to intersect the wonderful Shore Parkway bike path. I rode about three miles east and exited onto Rockaway Parkway at the Canarsie Veterans Circle. After a couple blocks, I turned left on Skidmore Avenue and then cut across Canarsie Park to find yet another nicely painted bike lane on Paerdegat Avenue.
   In the homestretch now, I made a left on Flatlands Avenue, which intersected with Avenue M, and I ended up back in front of Solomon’s house on 37th. I put my Pinarello back in the car, just in time for some thunder rumbles, a brief but heavy downpour and, of course, the unexpectedly LONG drive home.
  
   I really don’t mind helping out customers in NYC, particularly when they don’t have vehicles or if they are willing to compensate me for delivery, but I think I would like an extended break from contending with the rush hour traffic. I’m appreciating more and more the easy option of parking in New Jersey and cycling into the city.



No comments :

Post a Comment