Thursday, August 8, 2019

Ontario, Canada and Michigan's Upper Peninsula - Part Five

   I was a bit disappointed when I found the lake to be glassy calm Wednesday morning and knew I had blown my choice of days, as far as prime cycling conditions, but this weather would make for some great kayaking! We were heading over to St. Joseph Island, which is one of the largest freshwater islands in the world, sitting at the mouth of St. Marys River near the North Channel of Lake Huron.
   The island is also home to Fort St. Joseph Historic Site, the location of the initial attack in the War of 1812. The fort was not only an important British military outpost, but also a significant spot for trade and commerce in the region. Once the British Empire's most westerly outpost, Fort St. Joseph is operated today by Parks Canada.
   We stopped at the north end of the island in the town of Richards Landing to do some internet catch-up, and then drove to the public boat launch at Gawas Bay. Sue had read it was a good area for wildlife watchers, and although we didn't spot the elusive moose for which she was hoping, we did see some small and large fish, osprey, cormorants and a family of mergansers (I had to do some research for those) during our 3.5-mile circuit.



   Little mental “trips to dreamland” occur when we spot lakeside homes like those in the photos below, many with only boat access – sure, shopping would be inconvenient, as would the bike rides, but I could deal with it somehow.





   The island has a reputation as an ideal cycling destination, as it features rolling hills, forested side roads, picturesque views and friendly services, all along roads that have light traffic. We decided to return the next day to try out Route 538, which circles St. Joseph Island.
   I’m sure you won't be shocked to hear that another fantastic day of cycling weather was on tap – low 80s and dry! We parked at the little library in Richards Landing and started counter-clockwise, with intention that Sue would cut across Hilton Road, which pretty much bisects the island, leaving me to finish the 40-ish-mile loop on my own.
   She certainly picked the right portion of the loop, as it was dominated by flat farmland. A short, sharp incline was near Mariner’s Cove, the site of a very narrow passage of the Great Lakes shipping lane, and a longer climb led up to Gilbertson’s, which is the largest maple syrup producer in Ontario. Near the top, I met another cyclist who had just finished climbing up in the other direction.
   He was straddling his bicycle, taking big gulps from his bottle and said, “You’re making me look bad – looks too easy for you.” I explained that we were from a very hilly area of Pennsylvania, and he replied that he was from Windsor, Ontario, where they have “none of this stuff”. He must have felt doubly bad when Sue came peddling up behind me, and he admitted to having walked a portion of the climb.
   The road made a sharp left and after a brief downhill, Sue split off onto Hilton Road, and I faced the (unexpected) rest of the climb. I had the mistaken impression this would be a relatively flat piece of land, but the profile of the route would tell the true story:


   I did enjoy the very long, gradual descent off of that first mountain, speeding along at 25-30 mph for about three miles, but keeping any kind of pace over the successive 50-100-foot climbs that followed was quite a challenge. My friend Mr. Wind showed up when I turned to head along the east side of the island. Sue and I had stopped briefly at Hilton Beach after our kayaking expedition, and I anticipated the tough climb up from the marina, but not how wasted I’d feel by the time I’d reach that spot.
   I also didn’t expect the long drag heading away from Gawas Bay, where we had launched our kayaks the day before – I guess sometimes you just don’t notice it when you are driving in a car! I sure was feeling it now, and despite being nearly out of gas, I received a pleasant break from the wind when I turned toward the southwest along the main route back to Richards Landing.
   My heart sank a bit when I saw a sign stating town was still 6 away, until I remembered this was Canada, and the number would be kilometers, not miles. The remainder of my ride was fairly flat, so it passed quickly, and I was really happy to remember the ice cream spot in Richards Landing and the proportions they tend to serve in the Great White North!

   We had a wonderful Friday of pretty much just sitting around, reading, listening to music and playing some games. On Saturday morning, instead of taking on the gnarly, steep path that led to/from our cabin, Sue and I decided to save our legs and drive out into town and park there. A farmer’s market is held at the Desbarats hockey rink during the weekend, so it was a bit busy there, but nowhere near enough that there was a problem at all finding a space for the van!
   Sue wanted to take a relatively short ride and check out some of the area west and south of town, while I intended to try the around-the-lake route again, since the conditions were a bit calmer. The light breeze that was coming more from the north this day was only in my face on the leg of the route that was mostly a gradual downhill, so it wasn’t much of a factor.
   Some clouds rolled in and gusts picked up in the afternoon, but by that time I was moving in a direction where I wasn’t being affected adversely by the wind. It seems rare, no matter where I am, that I happen to have a tailwind on the return portion of a ride, but this was the case, and the last couple miles were an absolute blast, flying through the flat farmland back to the van. It was a little humorous pulling into the parking lot to find Sue sprawled out in the back of the van (empty without the bikes inside), with the side doors wide open to let in the refreshing breeze.

   Sunday was another scheduled day for loafing/lounging before we would head back over the border to spend a few days in Buffalo.



No comments :

Post a Comment