Thursday, September 12, 2019

Out With the New, In With the Old

   I was pleased to be able to put the final touches to the Olmo Sportsman last Friday, and was excited to have it leave the shop door Monday morning! I barely had time to list it in the blog’s For Sale page, so I’ve included the final specs among the photos below:

 CAMPAGNOLO Record 9-speed group, including: CRANKSET (175mm, 53/39t), DERAILLEURS (front/rear); Campagnolo BOTTOM BRACKET and HEADSET; BRAKE/SHIFT LEVERS- Campagnolo Centaur; BRAKES- Athena monoplaner; HANDLEBAR- Cinelli Campione del Mondo 66-42 with NEW Fizik bar tape, STEM- Cinelli XA (90mm); SADDLE- Selle San Marco Ponza, WHEELSET- Ambrosio Balance rims, Campagnolo Record hubs and 9-speed cassette with NEW Schwalbe Lugano tires







   A young guy named Nick, who was just getting into racing, was thrilled with the new, old stock Olmo frame, and might have me tweak a few details to get the machine set up just how he likes it. The bike might not have its complete vintage look for long, but it now belongs to someone else, and that’s all that matters at this point.

   A few days later, I had the Patelli all together and headed out to take some shots of that bicycle, which is now for sale.








   I had been searching quite a while for an affordable Masi frameset, as it is a legendary brand that had provided bikes to Coppi, Gimondi, Anquetil and Merckx, although often badged-up with alternative logos for the respective team sponsors. Founder Faliero Masi opened his shop in the 1950s at the Vigorelli Velodrome in Milan, after a professional racing career and stint as team mechanic.
   His son Alberto took over the Italian business, while Faliero moved to California to start up U.S. production. Unfortunately, a dispute over production led to a split in the company, and the Masi name became property of U.S. investors.
   Some “Masi-philes” would even argue the ‘70s California bicycles, with Italian flair and a twist of American custom craftsmanship, were the finest in company history. The brand grew to greater fame when it appeared as main character Dave Stoller’s ride-of-choice in 1979’s Oscar-winning movie, Breaking Away.

   The Masi frame I’ve purchased is a blue 1985 Nuova Strada, which features Columbus SL tubing and Cinelli lugs. The frame is stamped “56” on the bottom bracket, but Masi geometry is a little more relaxed. The top tube is 56 centimeters, center-to-center measurement, while the seat tube is actually 54 C-T-C (56cm center-to-top).


   I plan on “stepping up” the build level on this bicycle, by using the iconic Campagnolo C-Record group, which will require a little more patience to find at a reasonable price, but I’m in no hurry to complete this project, since I have plenty of other builds on which to work. I really want to make this project stand out, and the brand is worth the attention!

   I have another Olmo to work on, as I came across a San Remo frameset which is a modern run of the company’s classic frameset. This 2009 version displays the appropriate throwback graphics, but it is made of top-quality Columbus SLX tubing. The lustrous cobalt blue paint is stunning, too!


   I haven't finalized a plan for this build, but I do have a newer Campagnolo Centaur carbon group which would provide a blend of classic looks and modern performance appropriate for this particular frameset.

   I haven't been giving many details about progress on the Casati Fibra, as it was on the back burner while I was collecting the needed Campagnolo Record and FSA components. I should be finishing up this bicycle soon, if I can find a good set of Record brakes, preferably in black, but anything affordable will do.
   There was minor complication when I started some assembly and found the custom 52-tooth chainring the previous owner had installed on the FSA Gossamer compact crankset created way too much chain-wrap in combination with the 29-tooth largest cog on the cassette that came with the Vento wheelset I had purchased. There was an excess amount of chain when I shifted down to the smaller compact chainring (34t) and smaller cogs. This caused the rear derailleur to flop back too far and the top pulley wheel to rub on the cassette, since there was no back tension from the drooping chain. I swapped in a 50t chainring and a 12-23t cassette, re-sized the chain and everything works perfectly.

   Next time I will be discussing some “must-have” bicycles...or maybe “wish-I-could-have” would be more appropriate. I’m hoping for some feedback/comments from regular readers, so stay in touch!




No comments :

Post a Comment