Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Short stop

   It seemed an appropriate title at the dawn of a new baseball season, but it refers more to this just being a quick post to share some photos of a finished project, as well as introducing a couple new ones. I had promised details on the "Cycle Tech Sojourn" rides coming up this year, and they will be coming this weekend, but I urgently needed to post some images of the Bianchi 1885 so that I can link my sales page to them.
   The build went fairly smoothly, though the set of Mavic Ksyrium wheels I had originally purchased for the bike were a complete disaster, and no matter the amount of truing work I put into them, I couldn't correct the obvious hit each of the wheels had taken. Despite the seller not mentioning any flaws to the set, there was a bad flat spot on the front rim and a bad bend to the rear.
   I came up with a nice set of Mavic Classics Elite wheels, which actually go nicely with the black frame.








   I picked up another Bianchi last week, this time a 2012 Brava, which is in a shade of blue more like the earlier shade of celeste that company used on its bikes and team jerseys. The bike came with the very low level Shimano Claris components, and I'm going to upgrade the bike to Campagnolo Centaur.



   Finally, a regular customer, whose family owns a large farm property nearby, found a couple bicycles in the back of his barn. One was a Mongoose mountain bike that I tuned up for him, and the other was this vintage roadster:



   It looks very much like a Schwinn Model C, circa 1937, but that bike has a horizontal (what I'll call) secondary top tube, and this bike's is slightly bowed. The junction between the top, head and down tubes on the Model C is simple and angular, while this bike has a rounded "flare" from the top tube to the down tube. Maybe it's just a different model year?
 
The Schwinn Model C, for comparison

   The bike has an interesting two-speed kickback hub with gear changes activated with the backpedal motion, and a coaster brake - not sure how the two functions are separate, but I'll have to test ride when I finished with the work. I'm doing a semi-restoration on the bike, replacing the handgrips, tires and saddle with products that are close to what is currently on the bike or at least era-appropriate. There was also a spoke missing on the rear wheel - it took some effort to find the correct gauge and length. I'll see what I can come up with, as far as fenders.
   These bikes are very collectible and have some value. I'm not sure what Dave's plans are - whether he plans to keep this or sell - but if you are interested, let me know, and I'll put you in touch with him.

Cycle Tech Sojourn info in a few days!


No comments :

Post a Comment