Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Ready To Ride

   To my surprise, when I arrived at Bikesport Friday morning to pick up the Atala after it was packed for shipping, the Colnago AND the Tarmac were also ready to go! I was very excited to get home and start putting things together.
   The first step was to install the new seatpost clamp, replacing the one that was fairly mangled on the bike when I purchased it. This had to be done first so that I could use the seatpost as location to clamp the bike into my work station.
 
 
   Next came the installation of the drive train, starting with the bottom bracket and crankset. The large chainring provided a height reference to locate the front derailleur. I then added the pedals.
 

   I followed up with bolting on the rear derailleur.
 

   I needed the rear wheel and cassette on the bike to fit the chain and adjust the derailleurs, so I mounted the brake calipers at the same time and centered them. At this point I also set up the front wheel and brake, and while I was up there, I put on the handlebars.
 

   Next step was sizing the chain (method covered in an earlier article) and then feeding it through the derailleurs and connecting the master link. I actually had all the derailleur housings pre-cut from another project and installed these next, along with some cables I keep in stock. I made all the necessary adjustments and clamped everything tightly.
 

   The last few steps included cutting the brake cables and housings then adjusting the calipers. I found a good method to do this is holding the calipers closed against the rim and locking in the cable. Since new cables stretch a bit, I then squeeze the lever hard, which usually leaves enough clearance between the pad and rim. Finally I wrapped the handlebars to complete the project.
 

   Bob was thrilled when he came home from work, and I met him with his “new” Tarmac. He was also delighted to find out that we kept the whole project under $850. Patiently searching for needed parts, setting prices and sticking to them with smart bids goes a long way!
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment