Tuesday, September 23, 2014

French CORRECTION

   Let’s review my project headaches this year: 1. Colnago Nuovo Mexico was missing several parts from the box, which were never recovered, but I received a partial refund from the seller. 2. Pinarello Treviso arrived at my door in craft wrap (still have that horrid image in my head) with a bad repaint job, a stem that was fused to the steering tube and a frame out of alignment – again a partial refund, the bike has been dropped off (finally) for new paint, and a frame expert helped to fix the other issues. 3. Bianchi Record SL project needed a set of wheels that were unfortunately very rare and expensive – a replica pair fell into my lap with another Pinarello purchase that was made to complete my parts list for the Treviso. 4. Atala Cromor Triomphe had scratches to its (used-to-be) perfect paint during shipping, due to carelessly poor packaging – although damage was minor, I did receive a small refund, and I matched some touch-up paint to make it barely noticeable.
   I haven’t let this trouble streak totally discourage me, although I am considering taking this winter off from projects, or at least keeping them to a minimum. You would think with my final (promising myself) purchase of the year, that my luck was due to change. And you would be VERY wrong!
   Last week I told you about the delivery of my latest Vitus project, but during assembly I discovered a problem. I had replaced the 42 tooth smaller chainring with a 38 tooth version to give the bike more “climbability” and then installed the crankset. When I went to affix the chain, I noticed the rear derailleur was loose. It appeared that a washer was missing, which would cause the mechanism to slide in and out on the mounting bolt and mess up any chance of accurate shifting. I simply inserted an appropriately sized washer, and thought all was well.
   It turns out a very special part was missing. The washer/mounting plate that came with the Mavic derailleur was intended to keep the mechanism vertical, so that the return spring would keep the chain taut between shifts. Without the part (circled in red in first photo below) the chain sagged badly, causing it to drag across the chainstay when pedaling. When in larger gears, the derailleur would actually tuck under the chainstay and rub on the frame (second photo below). Comparing my current Vitus setup with a photo I found online of the correct Mavic 851 SSC derailleur position (third photo), I knew I was in trouble, particularly because years ago Mavic decided to stop making anything but wheels!




   After fruitless internet searches for the part, a string of expletives was echoing around the house, and because of the make of this bicycle, I kept thinking “Excuse my French”. Whenever someone uses that phrase, my family likes to reply, “We all speak fluently around this house!” I was able to calm down and use my brain after an hour or two away from the bike.
   I turned to one of the many online cycling forums. Unbelievably, I came in contact with a collector named Luke who was also frustrated by this missing part and had surveyed forum members to see if there were others in the same predicament. Luke received enough positive responses that he was encouraged to contact a machinist friend, invest a little money and have a bunch of the parts produced, which he could then sell. Yes, the price for the little part is ridiculous – it’s just a damn washer with some bent sides – but if it’s a case of buying the part or my bike won’t work, I’m buying it!


   On the more positive side of things, I found a rare Mavic 451 brake/lever set on eBay and was able to talk the seller into dropping his price by $50. The fact that I was willing to buy it from his website and save him the eBay final value fees certainly helped.


   I was considering the purchase of an old-school Elite Ciussi water bottle cage, and then I remembered that I still had the one which I removed from my Cannondale. It was a bright yellow that didn’t match the more “golden” shade of the bike graphics, and I prefer the way red cages blend in with the bike anyway. Since the yellow cage had some paint chipping, I stripped it completely, and it now goes perfectly with the polished aluminum frame sections on the Vitus.


   A Selle Italia Turbo Matic saddle that had light signs of wear showed up on eBay with a “Buy It Now”, so I quickly snapped that up. I found this cool old magazine advertisement someone had scanned and posted:


   When all the parts arrive, this bike will be ready to go. Unfortunately I’ve been frustrated repeatedly by folks who have money to burn outbidding me at the last moment for a set of carbon wheels for the Cervélo. I keep assuring Aaron (my generous frame donor) that this bike is nearly done, “if I could only find some wheels.” I learned he was in need of a pair of pedals for a bike he recently purchased, and since a great set of Mavic clipless pedals came with the Vitus, and I didn’t need them, I sent him a special package. After all, I have to get that karma thing turned around!


No comments :

Post a Comment