Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Going Solo(ist)

   Not a whole lot to report this week, other than that I have been frustrated lately not being able to get in contact with my airbrush artist friend, either by phone or email. I even stopped by his house once, just because I was nearby, and unfortunately no one was home. He could be one of those smart people who takes a vacation and doesn't take a computer or phone, so I'll give it another week or so. Otherwise I may turn to painting the Pinarello myself, because I doubt I will find any painting service as inexpensive and accommodating as Bruce was!
   Parts have been arriving sporadically for the Cervélo, and I have been putting it together atop the workbench, because the bike's aerodynamic carbon seatpost shape won't fit into the wall clamp. Assembly is a bit awkward while having to turn the bike constantly to get at everything, but it's not too difficult, and I really don't have any options.



   As usual, I've been using BikePedia as a guide to match up original parts, but I'm not doing it exactly stock, just getting the basic feel, as some substitutions are necessary. The Soloist had a mix of Shimano Ultegra and Full Speed Ahead components, so I purchased a nice used Ultegra 9 speed (instead of the original 10 speed) group on eBay as the base for the build.
   I will need to replace the clamp-on front derailleur that came with the group, as this bicycle model requires the appropriate part for braze-on mounting. The Soloist came with a MegaExo bottom bracket, which is an external bearing system developed by FSA, so I will also sell the Ultegra crankset and purchase the chainset that is compatible with the MegaExo parts.
   The stem was listed as a Syntace product, but I found an FSA stem that matched the graphics of the handlebars and decided to consolidate the manufacturers. I slid on the Ultegra shifter/brake levers for the "in progress" photo above.



   I decided to go stock on the saddle, since the Selle San Marco Ponza is a quality product. Some extras I have waiting for installation down the line are a cool sterling silver Jagwire cable and housing set, much like the one I put on my brother-in-law's Kestrel, and a pair of Profile Design lightweight bottle cages.



   Because I have been able to find some real bargains so far, and since this frameset cost me nothing, I decided to splurge and go for a set of deep rim carbon wheels. An aero road bike like this really deserves nothing less - I'll just have to be patient for a good deal.

   

No comments :

Post a Comment