Tuesday, April 28, 2015

True Classics: a Race, a Champion and a Bicycle

   I want to start off with one of my picks for pro cycling photo of the year (so far), taken at Sunday’s Liège-Bastogne-Liège, one of the sport’s Monuments. The shot captures it all: fantastic diagonal composition of the famous Cote de Saint Roch climb, the cyclists struggling up the steep ascent and fans stacked four or five deep (and hanging out windows!) to catch a glimpse of their heroes.


   I was excited to see my current favorite, Alejandro Valverde, sort out some of his recent strategy problems and complete a fantastic week of racing in the Ardennes Classics. He finished a close second to current World Champion Michal Kwiatkowski at the Amstel Gold race a week ago, before winning both mid-week at La Fleche Wallonne and then in Liège. It is the third career victory for the Spaniard at La Doyenne ("the oldest").

   The second-biggest story of the week had to be the incredible performance of 22-year-old Julian Alaphilippe (the frustrated rider to Valverde’s left). The Frenchman finished an impressive 7th place at Amstel, but who could have predicted the runner-up places at each of the other two events this week? His countrymen have been starving for a champion, but as a current member of an Etixx-Quick Step team LOADED with relatively young talent, he may have to look elsewhere in order to take a leadership position – or maybe he has shown enough this week to make his team directors shuffle their plans a bit!

   Most of the work on the Colnago Sprint involved cleaning the bike, which required a lot of shop rags and a bottle of degreaser (I use Simple Green). The chainrings, freewheel cogs and chain would eventually need added attention. I first removed the wheels in order to give the dingy sidewalls of the Veloflex tires a good scrubbing – these classic, high-quality tires now look the part!
   I was surprised to find, after removing a good coating of greasy mess, that the seven-speed freewheel was Dura-Ace. Normally, since I hate mixing Italian and Japanese components, I would have immediately looked to find a Regina or Everest counterpart. However, Dura-Ace is top-quality stuff, and since it functioned perfectly with downtube friction shifters (contrary to the various incompatibility issues that occur with more modern parts made by the two rival companies), I decided this wasn’t something with which I needed to bother.
   The finishing touches for the bike arrived rather quickly in the mail, and I anticipated easily having the bicycle ready to list by the end of the week. Unfortunately I had overlooked the fact that a cheap replacement set of brake pads was installed on the rear calipers. I found a replacement set and quickly placed an order, then went to work on the rest of the bicycle.
   I had replaced the (incorrect) acorn nuts that came on the Dura-Ace brake calipers I used previously on the Bottecchia project and turned to the same source for the part needed on the front Campagnolo brake for the Colnago. I ordered a small handful of these “dressier” cone nuts this time around, in case I would require some in the future.
   I was pleased that the white brake hoods cleaned up nicely and that they wouldn’t appear shabby next to the new bar tape when it was applied. I was unfortunately a bit disappointed the chrome pitting on the backs of the fork blades was too close to the paint for me to make an aggressive effort to polish it up. I didn’t want to risk messing up the sharp line where the chrome and paint meet! However, I was able to mix in some blue to correctly match the hue of green metallic-flake paint I purchase to touch up the Sprint, and the more prominent scratches are now barely noticeable! 







   I see the Colnago Sprint as an excellent option for someone on the lookout for a classic Italian racing bicycle without having to break the bank. This is an affordable model by a world famous builder, with a bonus of better-than-usual Campagnolo components. I only hope that I can luck out and have anywhere near the turnaround time of the Bottecchia sale!


No comments :

Post a Comment