Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Molto pazzo?

…well maybe not very insane, but perhaps slightly “touched”.

   During my search for a nine-speed group to accompany the set of Campagnolo Vento wheels I intended to put on the Saeco-Cannondale bicycle, I began to rethink the point of this project and how to really make this build the most desirable for re-sale. I also stumbled upon a “donor bike” on eBay that had mostly 9-speed Dura-Ace components (as the Saeco-Cannondale team used) AND a set of Spinergy Rev-X wheels!
   Now, I know these wheels have a bit of a bad reputation, but as I read about some frightening incidents that occurred with them, I found it really was a specific batch of the Rev-X wheels that were flawed. The UCI rules eventually banned the use of such radical designs, which had as much to do with Spinergy discontinuing production of the Rev-X as did any fears about the product’s reliability.
   I figure if there are sets of the wheels still around after a decade of usage, this particular model of the Rev-X obviously has adequate durability. I think the real attraction of this build is how close it will replicate the team’s actual bike, and if the eventual owner wishes to ride a more “safe” wheel, that would be his choice!
   Another factor in my change of heart was that the carbon wheels on my Pinarello have developed an annoying clicking sound from which I have had no luck determining a cause. I thought hanging onto the Vento wheels a bit longer would be a wise decision, should the noise be a sign of a serious problem.


   The bicycle I purchased is a Guerciotti (gwair-chee-OH-tee), put together as a bit of a “Frankenbike” with Dura-Ace components mismatched with a few less expensive (and lower quality) fill-in parts. The frame has an interesting paint job that has some issues, but I thought I might recruit my airbrush artist friend for some help.
   I’m not sure if I will make this frame a build project, as I might set it aside until the winter or even just resell it after having the paint touched up. Other than taking care of repair jobs or the odd build for a customer during the spring and summer, my intent was always to leave my own projects for the “indoor months”. A couple of late -season ventures were hanging on too long, waiting for completion, but I’ve finally gotten out from under them and made a couple of sales!

   I picked up a very nice yellow Selle Italia ProLink saddle from a craigslist-er in New Jersey, but will have a longer wait for the Cinelli Alter stem purchased a couple of weeks ago from an eBay seller in Poland. I also purchased a black Cannondale seatpost and some yellow Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick III tires. With the Dura-Ace group and Spinergy wheels, I expect to achieve a very close replica to Cipollini's 2000 ride.





No comments :

Post a Comment