Thursday, October 11, 2018

VitusVision Part 2


   A few months ago on this blog, I featured a photo collection of a couple Vitus builds that I had built at the same time, and I’m following up with a similarly-themed entry, though both bicycles aren’t currently complete, nor are they both for sale.
   The first bike is the violet Vitus 979 that had been used as a donor bike for my friend Brendan’s Sean Kelly KAS bicycle. I was finally able to find a Mavic bottom bracket and a really nice Selle San Marco Regal saddle.
   I had substituted in a Cinelli 1A stem, as well as a set of the company’s Giro d’Italia handlebars. I included the Modolo Mach 3 brake levers that came with the bike, but the rest of the components are all Mavic. The bike is now listed on my For Sale page, along with a red Vitus 979.







   I keep a bicycle down at the shore, so I always have something to ride when we take a trip to Stone Harbor and so I don’t have to transport one with us when we pack the car with the rest of our stuff. I really enjoy my Vitus 992 in Lotto Team colors, and I decided to bring it home last weekend, after I took a trip to south Jersey during some incredibly warm October weather. You can read previous posts about this bike build starting here.


   I intend to tweak the setup a little bit, as the gear range is a bit small in the back, particularly because the Mavic 801 derailleur (pictured below) wouldn’t clear anything larger than a 23-tooth cog. I’ve heard that these derailleurs can be adjusted to accept larger gears by loosening the lower pivot bolt and sliding the cage downward, but I have yet to experiment.


   Another option would be a longer cage Mavic rear derailleur. The 845 derailleur is rather conventional, compared to the modernist styling of the 801 and 851 versions, but I kinda dig the funky graphics on the face plate (below). They are pretty rare and would probably be a bit pricey, but we’ll see.






No comments :

Post a Comment