Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Back To School

   I’ve never been a big fan of the month of September. Sure, I enjoy the start of futbol (soccer) season, but despite being a good student, I didn’t enjoy school at all and couldn’t wait to be finished. My attitude hasn’t changed much since my wife is an elementary school teacher, and I enjoy having her around, plus she’s always in a better mood when school is not in session.
   I did enjoy homeschooling my boys, particularly when it was a subject in which they were interested, and I suppose the enthusiasm some of my friends have for learning about bicycles gives me a similar feeling when I share my knowledge with them. “Bicycle University” was in full swing again last weekend when a new friend drove down from New York with a couple of bicycles on which to experiment.
   Before Jordan showed up, I actually learned a couple new skills, one that involved a faulty rear derailleur. I had purchased a Campagnolo Record rear derailleur for a new project (more on that later) and when it arrived, I found that the limit adjusting bolts had been overtightened, and the heads were nearly stripped. I asked Nick at Bikesport if he had any tricks to remove them, and he suggested we throw the part in their cleaning machine, which would hopefully remove some of the grease and debris to help loosen the screws.
   We had luck with one of the screws, but the second would require a little more risk than Nick wanted to take on such an expensive part. He suggested I use a small metal drill bit down through the head of the screw and then use a small Torx wrench (similar to an Allen wrench, but with a six-point star-shaped head) in the hole, hoping that would provide more “bite” to the metal surface.
   Using an electric hand drill wasn’t exactly precise, but I didn’t have to drill too far into the screw, and I took great care to go slowly and keep the drill perpendicular to the screw head. The derailleur screws were only four millimeters wide, so I used a 1/16” bit, about 1.6 millimeters in diameter, and a T10 Torx wrench, which is just over two millimeters, fitting just enough into the hole for the star points to grab. I made sure to put on my leather work gloves, which provided a grippy surface, as well as protection from the tool possibly slipping and stabbing into my hand, and the bolt backed right out!
   Little did I know that the same technique would come in handy when Jordan showed up and presented me with a vintage Athena derailleur that had a barrel adjuster broken off in its hole. This bolt was a little bigger, so I just adjusted the drill bit and Torx sizes, but the technique was just as successful!
   Jordan’s instruction involved assembly of a mid-1980s steel Bottecchia, and he had done a decent amount of work on his own, taking apart a Bianchi bicycle that was just a bit more modern, in order to use its Campagnolo Ergo 10-speed system. I found him to be very knowledgeable, both in bicycle construction and racing history, so we had some great conversation and time flew by the four hours or so he spent in my shop.
   He was mostly lacking all the specialty tools and a bit of the technique required to set up everything to work smoothly. We hit a bit of a snag, both literally and figuratively, in our attempts to vacuum-feed a thread guide through the frame’s internal cable routing, and Jordan had to be heading home soon. At that point, I hadn’t even gotten to his stripped barrel adjuster problem, so I offered to finish up his bike work and meet him halfway to exchange funds and the completed Bottecchia. Disclaimer: I am not a fan of the splash bar tape in any way, shape or form, but that was Jordan's choice. Since I can't abide by that completely, my Facebook page features an alternate, more aesthetically pleasing, version with black tape.







   The other new skill I learned involved one of the most difficult tires I’ve ever had to put on a wheel and a tool I picked up at Bikesport. I remember snapping off a couple tire tools on tight tire beads before, but I was really struggling with the Vittoria Corsa G+ Competition tires I was attempting to put on the Mavic MA40 rims for Brendan’s KAS Vitus 979 conversion. The front tire presented far less problem, but I suspect the bit of wrestling I did with that one wore my hands out for the assault on the rear, which I eventually quit on!
   I’ve made a bit of a habit of showing up at Bikesport an hour or so before they close, when things are winding down a little - plus there are far less customers for them to deal with, and the chances of them being able to provide me some quick help are better. Nick pulled on the tire with relative ease using a tool I hadn’t seen, a Crankbrothers Speedier Lever.
   The wedge on the right end works just like traditional levers to remove a tire, but the key left side feature is a hook that goes over the rim and guides the tire into place as you rotate the tool around the wheel. The tool can be pushed away or pulled towards yourself, whichever direction you feel gives the best leverage, but a great detail is the shape of the tool, which acts like a knuckle guard, preventing the chewed-up skin you could get if the tool slips and sends your hand into the spokes! There are plenty of YouTube videos showing the tool in action, if you are interested.

   I had a few leftover parts from my last Vitus 979 project, and a couple things I had held onto in anticipation of Brendan’s job, so there were just a handful of things to collect. Unfortunately, those were some of the most difficult parts to find (at a reasonable price), namely a Mavic 630 crankset, 351 handlebars and 365 stem. Taking a page out of Taylor’s Saronni project, Brendan found a “donor Vitus” (pictured left) for the remaining parts, and I quickly moved to buy it at a fantastic price. By substituting in some less expensive, but still appropriate parts, I should be able to quickly resell this bike to significantly discount the cost of the parts we are keeping. I’ll detail the purple 979 in an upcoming blog, but for now here are some photos of the completed tout-Mavic KAS Vitus 979, Sean Kelly tribute bicycle:








   With all of the bicycles and repair work that has been coming through my shop lately, I’ve been neglecting to mention a couple of projects that I’ve been tinkering with sporadically the past few weeks. I picked up a new-old-stock 2006 Wilier-Triestina Escape frameset that is painted in the French Cofidis pro team colors. I found a feature from Cyclingnews.com on rider Chris Sutton and his team bike, and I intend to match up the specs as much as possible.


   I’ve already collected the majority of the Campagnolo Record Carbon parts, along with the carbon FSA K-Force MegaExo crankset. The bike features a mix of sponsor-influenced choices, such as an ITM Millennium bar/stem combo and a Ritchey WCS seatpost. The most difficult find will probably be the unique Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels – I’ve seen some available, but I’m hoping for a reasonably-priced set.

   The other project I've been working on is actually already “spoken for”, as a reader contacted me after seeing the Tommasini Super Prestige frameset on my In-the-Works section of the For Sale & other projects in progress page of this blog. Way back since Sue and I left on our Canadian vacation, I have been discussing the build with a gentleman named Dirk from Annapolis. We are going with an Athena group and a set of Campagnolo Omega wheels that had in stock, and while I’m awaiting a few small parts, we have been sharing ideas on finishing touches like saddles and bar tape.



More to come soon...




No comments :

Post a Comment