Thursday, August 27, 2015

Where's my GOOD karma?

I know that this entry is overdue, but my bicycle biz hasn’t been going very smoothly lately, and I had just put off writing until my attitude improved a bit.

   Months ago I had ordered a Cinelli Alter stem from an eBay seller in Poland, and despite some issues with delivery of bicycles (most of which were eventually straightened out), I have seldom had problems with the shipping of parts. In this case the item seemed to have been lost, and I was eventually issued a refund. It turns out that the package was supposed to be delivered, but at the time we had put a hold on our mail during a week-long stay at the shore earlier this summer.
   The post office neglected to put the “signature required upon delivery” notice for that package in with our stack of mail given to us when we returned. After I received a similar notice in the stack of mail held during our trip to the Finger Lakes and went to pick up a package at the post office, the clerk emerged from the mysterious back room where packages are stored and said, “Here are two more for you – oh, we’ve had this one a while.” Ta-da, the Alter stem! 
   Because I would want someone to treat me the same way, I contacted the seller to see if he had received any compensation for the lost package, since he had a shipping receipt and tracking info (however “reliable” international tracking is). He had been given nothing and was very happy to hear from me, using the words “respect” and “honesty” over and over in his appreciative messages.
   David even gave me a discount when he found out the stem he had sent was slightly different from the photos of the new, old-stock version that had been incorrectly included in his original listing. It made me feel good to “do the right thing”, and one can’t help thinking some type of good fortune should come back in return.
   Yeah, whatever

   I had two people looking to buy bicycles from me recently, we negotiated a little, and I was very sure to be moving two projects out of my shop. Unfortunately, I received messages that both prospective buyers had found bicycles elsewhere. I actually had a third person as a "backup customer", only to have him nervously change his mind about how he wanted to spend his money.

   Circumstances did briefly turn positive, with a sale (I’ll get back to that later) and several eBay parts purchases where the sellers accepted my lower price in a “Make Me an Offer” transaction, but not for long. An online shop in Portland sold me a beautiful vintage Campagnolo headset a very good price. I thought I had filled one of my needs for the red Pinarello Treviso project, but unbelievably, the owners were in the process of relocating and somehow managed to lose the part!
   And finally, the one that really blew my top! A gentleman who lived nearby called me about finding a commuter bicycle for him, and I found exactly what he wanted at a very reasonable price, freshly posted one morning on craigslist. The seller was moving and expressed some desperation to reduce inventory, so after a couple exchanged emails, I had scheduled a pickup that evening. I had a physical therapy appointment, after which I withdrew the required cash from the bank nearby, then drove home for a bite to eat before heading to pick up the bicycle.
   I did a quick check of my email before leaving and found a message explaining that the seller was “sorry for the inconvenience” and had sold the bicycle because of his “tight schedule”. In the first-come, first-served world of craigslist, I thought that I had done everything necessary, but I suppose without any real consequences to poor customer service, people can do whatever they want. The stupid thing was that I had provided my phone number in one of the messages – a quick call, and someone from my family could have picked it up immediately. Ridiculous!

   Moving on to current business, it’s not quite Cinquebicicambio, but involving three bikes in a parts exchange project isn’t exactly simple, either! Someone had seen the green Colnago Sprint on craigslist and really wanted the frame as the base for a commuter bike with modern parts. I was a bit reluctant, but he offered a nice amount of money, and since this wasn’t one of my builds, only a bike on which I had done a bit of cleaning, polish and touch-up, I agreed to sell the frame.
   Since I was left with a complete Campagnolo Athena groupset, I decided that I will swap it out with the Shimano 105 group on the Colnago 1988 XL. This bike had a black Selle Italia Flite saddle, but I like the look of the white saddle and handlebars on the red frame, so I’m going to switch in those parts from the Sprint as well.
   I’ve had a Campagnolo wheelset sitting around in my shop, and now a few parts that won't be needed for the 1988 XL. I came across a beautiful cobalt blue Pinarello Vuelta frame from ’97 that looked like the perfect candidate for the remainder of my leftovers, plus the few necessary fill-ins. The great thing about this deal was that the seller lived within driving distance and was smart enough to realize that he could save some money by ending the eBay listing and making a cash transaction. He actually dropped the price $10 for me and still made $15 more than he would have, if he had to pay the eBay fees!



   I love all the engraved logos (or pantographia, as the Italians say), but again, the dang faulty Pinarello decals! I’m doing some research into better methods to remove them without damaging the paint. It seems as though my airbrush connection has gone AWOL, so I don’t want to have to rely on him for help, should I damage the blue finish. I’m already searching for a pro to take care of the paint touch-ups for my other two projects.

More soon…


No comments :

Post a Comment