Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A New York State of Mind

   With the wonderful prospect of selling two bicycles in Brooklyn, I decided to bring along my own bicycle for a ride out to City Island. Years ago, I had seen the 2009 movie of the same name, starring Andy Garcia and Julianna Margulies, and had always been interested in visiting the Bronx island community at the extreme western end of Long Island Sound.
   The George Washington Bridge has always been a favorite starting point for my NYC cycling adventures, and I always enjoy the Hudson River view, even if it was a bit overcast.


   The air was cool but quite muggy, and I found myself in for a very sweaty day – glad I had two water bottles ready to go! This wasn’t going to be an epic ride, just over 40 miles or so, if I had time to ride down to Central Park for a lap, but I brought along a snack anyway.
   Last time I was in NYC, the upper trail that led to the pedestrian/cyclists crossing on the Henry Hudson Bridge was closed. Fortunately, the wickedly steep connection was open this time around, and my legs and lungs were quickly burning as I crossed Spuyten Duyvil Creek. The Dutch name means “spouting devil”, in reference to the tricky tidal currents in this area where the creek meets the Hudson River.

The swing bridge at Spuyten Duyvil used to carry freight trains heading down to NYC's High Line.

   NYC is very cycling-friendly these days, with more bike lanes being painted or becoming road-separated every time I visit. However, I found the condition of the Moshulu Parkway Trail to be among the worst I’ve ever encountered, with tree roots, holes and broken pavement galore. I don’t like it when people ride on sidewalks and would usually never do so, but the adjacent concrete was deserted at midday, so I decided to go that route much of the way.
   The trails improved greatly, I suppose somewhat understandably, as I neared the Botanical Gardens, but here is where I was misdirected. The route I had plotted on my cue sheet using Google Maps had me taking a trail along the Bronx-Pelham Parkway, and I mistakenly turned north along a road called Bronx Park – close, but...
   The trail condition deteriorated, and the bordering neighborhoods became unexpectedly shabby after a couple miles – I was expecting a lot more greenery towards Pelham Bay Park. When I started seeing signs for White Plains, I knew I had taken the wrong fork in the road. My little eight-mile detour would cancel my Central Park loop, but no big deal.
   Turns out the trail along the north side of Pelham Parkway wasn’t all that fantastic either, with mud pits and tree roots dominating the surface. When I eventually spied the beautiful greenway on the south side of the parkway, I hopped my bike over the curb and crossed the four lanes of traffic when there was a lull.
   This portion of Moshulu-Pelham Greenway rivaled any of the great bike lanes I rode in Europe, other than a couple awkward crossings over on/off ramps for I-95. Granted, this was Pelham Park, so it wasn’t crazy-busy, but it was still very strange and rather dangerous, with the speed the cars were travelling!

This Google Maps image shows the strange highway/trail configuration.

   As I crossed the bridge onto City Island, I caught a beautiful view out over Eastchester Bay. If you look closely, you can see the Manhattan skyline in the distance on the right, and among the yacht masts, you can spot the vertical supports of the Whitestone Bridge.


  On the island I immediately caught the distinct smell of seafood and turned left to take the photo below. It wasn't especially picturesque; I just liked the huge hand-painted sign next to its neon neighbor!


   I would describe the City Island community as if someone dropped Royersford at the shore – a small-town suburban feel with all the seafood joints and marinas included. The trees and plantings were more of an inland, deciduous variety, not the scrubby pine and bayberry that dominate the shore areas. I have heard that many families live on City Island, generation after generation in the same homes, and I can understand why, if someone grew up loving the big city but also appreciated a bit of isolation.

   On my return ride, I decided to veer south and follow the wonderful Hutchinson River Greenway down towards the Cross Bronx Expressway. I rode down 177th Street to meet up with my intended route on a nice bike lane along Tremont Avenue, which had a couple of steep, twisty climbs. I had good legs that day and had a lot of fun racing the traffic between lights.
   Making a left on University Avenue, I headed over to cross the Harlem River on the High Bridge, which has quickly become a favorite spot of mine, and then rode the trail that weaves up through Highbridge Park. I then took another painted bike lane on 170th Street across Washington Heights back to the GWB.



   Another reason I enjoy visiting NYC is because of all the historical railroad structures still in use, such as Grand Central Station and the High Line park. The restored Lackawanna Terminal in Hoboken still hosts NJT train service and NY Waterway ferries, and the Jersey Central Terminal in Jersey City, which last saw trains in 1967, now serves as a departure point for Liberty State Park cruises.
   On my way to Brooklyn from the George Washington Bridge, I drove down I-278, alongside the Hell Gate Bridge, which was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1917 and is now part of Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor. At the time of its construction, it was the longest steel truss bridge in the world and was certainly the inspiration for designers of the Tyne Bridge in Newcastle, UK, and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.


   Certainly the 1,107-foot central span over the East River is impressive but so are the miles of concrete pier approaches on each end. To the east, trains soar high over Astoria Park and the neighborhoods of Queens, while on the west side they curve sharply north above the playgrounds and ballfields on Randalls and Wards Islands.
   I absolutely hate paying huge tolls and will spend more time on a local route if it means saving a handful of bucks. When planning my route home from Brooklyn, I dreaded the $17 toll to cross the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Since I would be heading back well after rush hour, I initially considered the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel back into Manhattan, which is only $8.50, and because the Holland Tunnel is free into New Jersey, that was a significant discount.
   Sue then mentioned that the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges are both free, and after noticing that the Manhattan Bridge links directly with Canal Street, which leads directly to the Holland Tunnel entrance, I was set. $8.50 instead of $17 sounded great, but FREE was excellent!
   After dropping off the Saronni and having a nice visit with Taylor and his family, I drove just a couple blocks to deliver the Peugeot to a craigslist customer. The drive home was wonderfully uneventful, and I enjoyed the view of the Brooklyn Bridge and city skyline all lit up as I crossed the Manhattan Bridge. The city was nicely cleared out by the time I reached downtown, and I zipped down Canal Street to reach the Holland Tunnel ramps.
   I was glad to find that, for once, there wasn’t a tremendous back-up coming out of the tunnel. The approach and exit on the New Jersey side have 4 straight blocks of traffic lights. How can backups not be expected? These intersections interrupt the flow of what is essentially a six-lane highway - I can’t imagine there is a situation like this anywhere else in the world!
   From there it was a quick shot to the Pulaski Skyway, one of my favorite routes away from NYC, with views of the railroad lift bridges over the Hackensack River, as well as the CSX intermodal yard in Kearny, NJ. Soon it was a simple connection to I-78, and I was pretty much home free.

Well, not free, but a lot less light-in-the-wallet than I might have been without some careful route planning!



No comments :

Post a Comment